Easter. Springtime, park play dates, bike rides, sunshine.
Winter snow storm. Like crazy, 20 centimetres of snow kinda snow storm. After an awesome Easter egg hunt put on by our local preschool, I thought what better way to spend a blustery afternoon than to bake!
Easter baking to me is cinnamon buns, Ukrainian Paska, lemon tarts, and of course…Carrot cake.
Following our processed food stuff free lifestyle, I whipped up this fabulous little gem.
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||30 Minutes|
- 1 1/2 Cups Avocado oil
- 2 Cups Organic cane sugar
- 6 Farm eggs The darker the yolks, the better!
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 Cup Brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamom
- 2 Tsp Baking soda
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- Pinch Ground cloves
- 3 Cups Grated carrot Fine grade
- 1/2 Cup Walnnuts or pecans Optional
- 1/2 Cup Yellow raisins Optional
- 2 cans organic coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp Coconut water From the can
- 4-6 Cups Organic icing sugar
- Set the oven to 350 FGrease two 9" pans
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, (I use Kitchen Aid), mix together oil and cane sugar until combined and smooth. Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves) until combined. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the mixing bowl, and beat on medium-speed until just combined, scraping down the pan at least once to be sure that everything is well mixed. Then fold in the grated carrots by hand, and stir until combined, followed by the nuts and raisins.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans. Then bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove pans and let cool to room temperature.
- Layer the cakes with chilled coconut cream frosting, and then frost the outside of the cake as you desire.
Coconut cream frosting
- Scrape the chilled coconut milk from the two cans into the mixing bowl. Mix until smooth
- Slowly add 4-6 cups of organic icing sugar until consistency is smooth. Add the coconut water if necessary or desired.This is my FAVE brand!
- Let cool and apply to cake. Make sure to whip the icing in a stainless steel bowl that has been chilled.
- Top with cinnamon, grated carrots, and crumbled nuts.
Share this Recipe